The John Bull, an English engine built in 1831 by Robert Stephenson and Company was shipped from England to the United States for operation on the Camden and Amboy Railroad in New Jersey. Originally built as an 0-4-0 wheel configuration, it was later converted to a 2-4-0 with the addition of a two-wheel pilot truck at the front. The John Bull, now under the ownership of the Smithsonian Institute, is seen here traveling under its own power on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad’s Georgetown branch line near the Potomac River on September 15, 1981 as part of its sesquicentennial celebration.
Ken Muramoto ©. Watercolor/Acrylic. 10 x 14 inches. April 2017.